Thursday, August 30, 2012

Balsamic Maple Glazed Salmon

This recipe was part of a healthy eating program through the county and promoted an Omega-3 rich meal.  Once I saw it I knew I’d have to try it.  I got the chance when the boneless, skinless filets of salmon went on sale at King Soopers.  I invited Crystal to join me at my apartment for dinner.

The recipe recommends using a grill or broiler to cook the salmon.  I just used a frying pan and it worked fine.  I combined ¼ cup orange juice, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and ¼ cup maple syrup in a saucepan.  I heated them on medium and brought them to a boil.  I cooked it for five minutes and then added 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar.  Meanwhile, I took my two salmon filets and seasoned them with pepper and a tiny bit of salt.  I brushed them with the glaze and put them in the pan.  The recipe says to grill or broil for 10 minutes.  I think I ended up cooking them a bit longer on a lower heat.  I continued brushing glaze on them.  I cooked my filet just long enough to get the outsides cooked and kept a hot pink center.  Crystal wanted hers cooked all the way through.

I served the salmon alongside some microwaved frozen brown rice.  We used a little of the extra glaze to season and flavor it.  I also heated up a frozen vegetable mix of carrots, corn, peas, and green beans in a sauce pan on the stove.  I seasoned them with garlic and pepper.

The meal was amazingly delicious for being a healthy option.  I really liked the sweet and tangy taste of the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.  The garlic also helped the flavor instead of detracting from it.  If I made it again, I would probably add fresh cilantro to the dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment