(720) 746-9355
I took Megan and Julien to downtown Denver to show of our city. We started the day with a tour of Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies baseball team. We weren’t able to see a game but we got to see the stadium. After walking around the stadium and Denver for a bit, we worked up an appetite as big as the Rocky Mountains .
Lunch was thanks to a recommendation from my mom. She worked in Denver for 33 years so she knows all of the best lunch spots. Biker Jim is a real biker who has a food cart in Denver but now also has a restaurant. We went there with high hopes and were not let down.
The restaurant has a Spartan, brick interior with high ceilings. On one wall you can see Biker Jim’s logo: a skull wearing a bike helmet and shades in front of crossed hot dogs and wings. The menu is colorful and up on the wall by the register. It took us some time to study it. I was sad that I could only order one dog. Their selection and choice is outstanding. I finally ordered the Elk jalapeño and cheddar dog. I ordered it with The Coney topping: rich meaty not too spicy New Jersey style chili with diced onion and yellow mustard. I also ordered a full side of House Made Fries for us to share. I didn’t notice much of a difference between elk and regular hot dogs. It could have been because I was hungrily devouring it at an impressive speed. The dog was also buried under the delicious chili. The fries were thin and crispy. Just the perfect side for a dog. We also all got natural fountain drinks. I didn’t recognize the name of the brand of soda they had but I liked the cherry coke.
Julien ordered the All Beef Wrapped in Bacon dog. I guess he hadn’t eaten enough meat on his trip yet. It looked pretty good and was indeed completely wrapped in bacon. He also ordered the side of Deep Fried Mac N Cheese and was kind enough to share it. The fried mac looked like a fish stick or mozzarella stick. When I bit into the stick, there was tender macaroni with creamy cheese sauce. It was quite an experience. It was delicious but I don’t think my conscience would let me eat more than one of those in my lifetime.
Megan ordered the Vegan Spicy dog. The other vegan dog option is the herb vegan. Hers looked pretty good and she seemed to enjoy it. Neither she nor Julien ordered special toppings on theirs but they were able to load up at the awesome toppings bar. There are items such as hot sauce, onions, peppers, ketchup and mustard just to name a few examples.
My mom also recommended an insider secret to Biker Jim’s. Apparently one of the desserts they offer is cheesecake. It’s not listed on the menu and it’s based on availability. I forgot to ask at the start and by the end of the meal we were pretty well stuffed. Alas, we were unable to stuff ourselves further with dessert. I guess that means I will have to return. I just wanted to share that tip with you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment