Saturday, September 8, 2012

Highlands Festival

Estes Park

A journey to the Highlands doesn’t have to be as long as you’d think.  My friends and I drove to Estes Park for the Highlands Celtic and Scottish Festival.  I must admit that I greatly enjoyed the sight of so many kilts.

The festival had many events such as caber tossing and jousting.  There was also plenty to eat in the food stands.  Some were typical American festival foods and some were attempts at more Scottish and Irish dishes.  I got to try a couple of different food items.  Megan, my Scottish friend, had described haggis to me when she was here.  The way she described it made it sound much more delicious than the typical description.  The description that I find on Wikipedia is that haggis is “a savory pudding containing sheep’s pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock.”  The traditional preparation is to cook this in the sheep’s stomach but commercially it’s usually cooked in sausage casing.  The one that I tried was served in a cardboard bowl with the sausage casing cut open and crackers on the side.  It was meant to be eaten with a fork and was also covered in brown gravy.  I really enjoyed it.  It does taste slightly like organ meats, but since I am a fan of liver pâté I’m used to the flavor.  It was well spiced and along with the oats in it, it made for a yummy lunch.  I recommend giving it a try if you get a chance.

The other dish that I got to try was the Scottish meat pie.  I can’t remember the exact meat that was in it.  I think it may have been a mixture of lamb and beef.  It reminded me of the pot pies I used to eat as a kid.  It was in a circular pastry shell much like a miniature pie.  When I bit into it, I tasted a peppery ground meat.  It also had some vegetables like peas and carrots in it.  I was a bit overzealous and probably burned the roof of my mouth on the hot interior of the pie.  I regret nothing.  It was a tasty treat I enjoyed while sitting in the grass.  Thinking of it makes me want one right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment