5280 Restaurant Week
Kevin Taylor website
303-820-2600
The 5280 Restaurant Week is a foodie’s dream. It’s promoted by the 5280 magazine and has a large list of participating restaurants. It used to be just one week in past years but is now two weeks. Most places have a prix fixe menu, with three courses and a few choices per course. A couple can dine for $52.80 or $26.40 per person. It’s an amazing deal and a fun way to try out nice restaurants that one may not usually be able to afford.I started my 5280 week with Restaurant Kevin Taylor in downtown Denver with my parents and my brother, Tyler. The restaurant has a posh and cozy atmosphere at the same time. We were led upstairs to a second balcony level. We got to look out into the main restaurant. It would be nice to dine in the main dining area but this section would also make for a more intimate date. I do have to mention that I loved their comfortable chairs.
We got white and olive bread to start with, accompanied by a plate of large slices of unsalted butter. My mom ordered the Wild Horse Pinot Noir while my dad and brother ordered beers.
The menu had some interesting choices. For the first course, I got the Seared French Foie Gras. This came with a Citrus Pound Cake, Blood Orange, Buttermilk Sorbet and Apple Gastrique. I was surprised because I was expecting a pâté of foie gras but it was actually a seared liver. I had never tried just a seared fatty liver before. The taste was just as amazing as the pâté but the texture was a bit strange for me. The little side items were tiny and artistic.
My mom and brother had the Pimenton Seared Hawaiian Tuna which came with Gazpacho Salad, Marcona Almonds, English Cucumbers, and Yellow Gazpacho. The tuna was good quality. I think it was seared a bit more than I personally prefer. My dad went with the Truffle Potato & Leek Soup with Crispy Shallots, Parsley Coulis, and Pommery Mustard Potato Salad. I liked how this was served. The other items were in the bottom of a dry bowl. The creamy soup was poured out of a silver pitcher onto the other ingredients. It was a classy way of not having to worry about slopping the soup.
For the main course, my dad, brother and I all got the Roast Angus Beef NY Sirloin & Braised Brisket: Mascarpone Potato Mousseline, Wild Mushrooms, Baby Zucchini, Rioja Jus. We were served two large slices of the sirloin as well as a healthy chunk of brisket. The meat was all very tender and turned out to be a larger serving than I could handle. I got to take it home and have a little bit leftover. The Rioja jus was a savory sauce that demanded to be sopped up in some bread.
Mom ended up ordering the Butter Poached Maine Lobster: Wild Mushroom Open Ravioli, Pea Sprouts, Potato Fondants, Lobster Saffron Emulsion. I tasted a little bit and it was some of the tenderest lobster I had ever tried. Any pleasant texture that my starter lacked was made up for in the main course.
Finally, we had dessert. My brother and I went with the Tahitian Vanilla Crème Brulée: Pistachio Madeleines, Vanilla Bean Sugar. It was pretty comparable to the crème brulées that I’ve had in the past.
My dad ordered their version of a Snickers. It was served with something I dubbed “peanut fluff.” It looked and tasted very similar to a real Snickers bar. Hopefully they didn’t switch it up on us. Tyler had the Pannacotta: blackberry pannacotta with raspberry meringues, pistachio sponge cake.
The waiter was very nice and no one ever had a snooty attitude with us. I felt very welcome and enjoyed sitting for a few hours to enjoy our meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment