Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chili Poppers

The weather is finally turning into fall.  Even though it’s still a bit hot out, I know that sweater weather is just around the corner.  In the late summer and early fall, there’s an addition to the farmer’s markets that is hard to resist.  My parents bought some of the roasted Anaheim chilies.  I have a favorite appetizer that I invented using these.  It takes a long time to prepare but is always worth it.

I take the green chilies and tear or cut them into thin strips (about a half an inch wide at the thicker end).  I used to make these too large and they were hard to eat.  I put about a teaspoon or so of cream cheese on the end of the chili and roll it up.  Then, I take a strip of prosciutto and wrap that around the rolled chili.  I stick a toothpick in it to hold it all together and make it easier to eat.  If you want to be more environmentally friendly, the poppers can sometimes stick without the toothpicks.  I put these all on a baking sheet covered in foil.

I bake them at 350° or 375°.  I always forget how long they might take.  The batch I just made needed about 30 minutes.  Just keep checking on them until the prosciutto crisps a bit.  It’s up to you how crispy you want it.

We usually get medium chilies.  We’ve done these poppers with hot chilies before and they’re killer.  The cream cheese helps with the fire a little but usually the ratio isn’t enough to put it out completely.

I’ve brought these to book club and they’ve always been a hit.  I am thinking of trying a different version on a slice of baguette.  I would spread cream cheese on it and put the chili and prosciutto on top.  It might make it easier to prepare and eat.  Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment