Sunday, January 20, 2013

Le Grand Bistro Groupon


Website
1512 Curtis Street Denver, Colorado
303.534.1155


I had a Groupon from a friend for Le Grand Bistro that I had received as a birthday gift.  The expiration date was coming up and my schedule wasn’t matching with any of my friends’.  I decided to take myself out for an unforgettable dinner and spend the entire Groupon on myself. 


I decided to sit at the bar since I was only one person.  The bartender had been there on a previous visit for happy hour.  She was very friendly and talked to me throughout the evening.  She held conversations with all of the couples visiting Denver that sat at the bar.


I started my meal with a glass of the Segura Rosé sparkling wine.  The happy hour price is only $3 a glass.  I like this wine because it is dry and light.  It is a refreshing glass that really should be drunk on a summer afternoon.  With dinner, I tried two different white wines.  The bartender was nice enough to let me have a half glass of each to see how they paired with the food.  The first was the Le Grand Noir Chardonnay $7.  This is their house white and I didn’t see it on the regular wine list.  The next was the Schlumberger Pinot Blanc $8.  As I write this, I can’t remember the details of each wine.  I only remember that both of them were very good and paired in different ways with the dinner.


I started my meal with amazing appetizers.  I gorged myself on Le Grand Charcuterie ($23).  This is a plate of their cured meats.  They are all served on a black slate and artistically arranged.  The duck prosciutto is very similar to regular pork prosciutto.  The Mortadella had pecan slices in it and had surprisingly good flavor to me.  The chicken liver mousse was served in its own little jar accompanied by toasted baguette slices and a shallot compote.  The texture was very smooth and the flavor was intense.  There was also salmon gravlox accompanied with little capers and a drizzle of dill sauce.  The other foods were matched with a drizzle of port gastrique and a drizzle of another foodgasmic sauce: truffle honey.  The plate was also decorated with olives and salad greens.
 

The other appetizer I ordered, because I can never resist, is the Foie Gras Mousse.  This is Hudson Valley foie gras, Sauturnes, heavy cream, and port gastrique $12.  It is a creamy bite of heaven that had me literally curling my toes in my shoes at the bar. 

 
I ordered the Rabbit Sausage ($25) for my main dish.  The bartender wanted to put the order in later so that I wasn’t overwhelmed by all my dishes at once.  She forgot to put it in and it ended up being late.  This was fine with me because I took a long time enjoying my appetizers.  I was so full from them that I had to take most of my main dish home.  The sausage came in large, thick round slices.  It is their House-made rabbit sausage with mustard spatzle, pickled sausage, and rabbit jus.  Everything was delicious.  I wanted to eat it there but I was full to bursting.  It was one of the most extravagant and indulgent dinners I’d ever had.  It was incredibly fun to treat myself to such an amazing dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment