Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thai-ed Up For Dinner

I decided to make this dinner extra special and introduce Crystal to my family. I invited my parents and my brother to join us. Crystal and I even made a trip to the Asian market downtown for some of the ingredients.

For the first course, I had pork dumplings that I had prepared the day before. This required gyoza skins and a mixture of 1 lb ground pork, minced garlic, grated ginger, an egg, soy sauce and black pepper. I froze them so they would remain separate. We boiled the frozen dumplings and then dipped them in either soy sauce, gyoza sauce or chili soy sauce.

For the second course, I decided to make pad thai the way my family enjoys it. I used Annie Chun’s rice noodles with Annie Chun’s Pad Thai sauce. They used to be sold together in a box so this was my first time using them separately. I put chicken, bean sprouts, cilantro, lime, green onions, peanuts and chili garlic sauce into it. I love this dish.

Since we’d agreed to make our meals healthy, I made a stir fry from some of the vegetables I’d previously chopped. This included zucchini, carrots, small bell peppers, green onions, and shitake mushrooms. I cooked it in sesame oil and added a hint of stir fry sauce for flavor.

We drank sake and ramune provided by my family and Crystal. We finished this fun meal with mochi, a kind of ice cream ball in a rice dough. The flavors were strawberry, green tea, and red bean.

After the family left, Crystal and I enjoyed the Japanese animated movie Ponyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment